Entering Antigua's port
Carnival celebrates the abolishment of slavery 1834
Nelson's Dockyard was a British Naval base built in the 1800's in English Harbour.
It has been refurbished and is now a National Park and museum.
The buildings have been beautifully restored and some serve as hotels.
These winches were used to roll the ships onto their sides to remove the barnacles.
Many sailboats still gather in the harbor and they have a regatta during the summer.
Beautifully restored barracks that now serves as an inn.
Inside the barracks
The sailmaker and repair shop
Pathway gate light
Pylons that ships would tie to while in port.
This building now serves as a restaurant.
Beautifully refurbished interior
The view from Shirley Heights
Nelson's Dockyard from Shirley Heights
English Harbour (Dockyard to the right). Note the alligator shape of the island.
An underwater cable with spikes that went from the alligator's leg to the shore could be raised to damage any encroaching enemy ships.
Shirley Heights signal house
We swam in the Caribbean at Turner Beach, one of 365 beaches on Antigua.